Celebrate Scare in Good Health with Creepy Halloween ‘Fangs’ – Made with 100% Organic Fruit & Nuts!
Halloween isn’t easy for parents looking to share in the spirit of Halloween without sacrificing a commitment to healthy, whole food-based nutrition.
Luckily, there’s a bunch of fun and flavourful ways to celebrate spooky with your kids – and we’re sharing one of our favourites with you today!
First up, Halloween Apple Fangs are a perfect way to share in scare with the little ones!
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp beet blood
- 2 tbsp blanched almond pieces (or Sunflower seeds, if you’re nut-free!)
- Nordic Omega 3 Gummy worms
- Begin by cutting your apple in half. Cut each half into thirds, and remove the core from each third.
- Carefully remove the back portion on the back of the apple slice. Slather some of the beet blood into each opening.
- For bloody fangs, dip blanched almond pieces into the beet blood and stick them into the opening forming to form fangs.
- For presentation, serve with some Nordic Omega 3 gummy worms and excite your trick or treaters with this healthy snack.
Raw Vegan Zombie Fingers!
Next up, these Freaky Zombie Fingers offer a Raw Vegan option that offers a fright filled, flavourful treat that’s perfect for all ages!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 tsp spirulina
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange extract
- Slivered Almond
- For beet blood:
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp beet powder
- ½ tsp spirulina
- In a food processor, combine walnuts, almonds and spirulina. Blend until fine.
- Continue processing and add pitted dates, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and orange extracts and process until dough forms a ball.
- To form creepy fingers, take 2 oz portions and roll with your hands.
- Score the knuckles with a knife and brush lightly with blood syrup.
- To make this syrup, combine brown rice syrup, beet powder, and spirulina. Mix until smooth.
- Use slivered almonds for nails by dipping each piece into the blood and securing them on the zombie fingers.
Organic ‘Swamp Brownies’ with Real Spinach!
These freaky, fun and easy brownies hide a ‘dark’ secret – they’re actually filled with real spinach! Before you’re little foodies recoil in horror, we suggest hiding their true nature – always taste before telling!
We promise, they’re packed with a flavour that will soothe even the pickiest little ghosts & ghouls!
- ¾ cup raw cacao
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cups Gluten-free all-purpose flour
- (I like Bob’s Red Mill GF Mix)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs (or chia eggs)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cups pecans
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt oil and blend with cacao; set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Blend eggs, vanilla and fresh spinach in a high speed blender.
- In bowl whisk together coconut sugar, GF flour, salt and baking soda.
- Combine spinach/egg mix with chocolate and oil. Make a well and add all the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until combined.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into 8×8 greased pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly; cut into squares and eat while warm or freeze for later.
Don’t Forget to Tune In!
Don’t forget to watch our special Halloween recipe video with Holistic Nutritionist Natasha Szauter for more great healthy Halloween ideas!
[youtube_video] GImJNpoiMF0 [/youtube_video]