Protein Power Balls
Made with four simple ingredients, these protein power balls are high in protein and rich in fibre. They’re easy to prepare and they make a great snack while you’re on the move.
Delicious, nutty, and crunchy sunflower seeds are great sources of energy. Just 100g provides 584 calories and 21g of protein. Sunflower seeds also provide cardiovascular benefits and support bone health. They are incredibly rich sources of many essential minerals including calcium, which supports bone health, iron, which provides energy, manganese, which aids in bone production, and magnesium, which lowers blood pressure. They are also good sources of mono-unsaturated oleic acid that helps lower LDL or “bad cholesterol” and increases HDL or “good-cholesterol” in the blood.
Fresh dates compose of soft, easily digestible flesh and simple sugars like fructose and dextrose. When eaten, they replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly. Dates are also rich in minerals like calcium, copper, and magnesium. Calcium is an important mineral that is an essential constituent of bone and is required by the body for muscle contraction, blood clotting, and nerve impulse conduction. Copper is required for the production of red blood cells. Magnesium helps lower blood pressure by causing the blood vessels to relax.
Beginning your day with a blood sugar stabilizing food such as oats makes it easier to keep blood sugar levels under control for the rest of the day. In addition, oats are high in fibre and are known to help remove cholesterol from the digestive system, which significantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- 2 cups (500 mL) pitted dates
- 1 lb (450 g) unsalted, all-natural sunflower seed butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
Makes 25 servings.
- Put dates into food processor and process. You may need to add a few tablespoons of boiling water to help chop them up. Add sunflower seed butter to food processor and mix until smooth.
- Put combined dates and sunflower seed butter into large bowl and add oats 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. With clean hands, form 1 in (2.5 cm) balls and place on plate. Cover and refrigerate. Enjoy!
Each Serving Contains:
222 calories; 7 g protein; 11 g total fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 27 g carbohydrates; 3 g fibre; 1 mg sodium