Mango Papaya Salsa
With mangoes and papaya this salsa is bursting with refreshing tropical fruit flavours. We recommend serving it alongside chicken, fish, or vegetarian burgers after a day of working up an appetite with physical activity.
Mangoes are great source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, two antioxidants that can help prevent arthritis. Mangoes are also a great source of potassium and dietary fibre, which benefit cardiovascular health. Just 100g of mango provides 156 mg of potassium, an important mineral that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Fibre on the other hand helps lower LDL cholesterol levels.
Papayas are an excellent source of the powerful antioxidants vitamin C and vitamin A. Both vitamins provide cardiovascular benefits and help prevent atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease. In fact, one medium papaya (276g) provides 224% and 14.5% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C and vitamin A respectively. Vitamin C, as well as beta-carotene, another antioxidant present in papaya, reduce inflammation with a high degree of effectiveness. This explains why individuals with diseases that are worsened by inflammation, such as asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis, find that the severity of their condition is reduced when they get more of these nutrients. Lastly, papayas are also a good source of fiber, which has been shown to lower high cholesterol levels.
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, and minced
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, mix mango, papaya, tomato, avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Each serving contains
76 calories; 1 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.6 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 10.7 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g fibre; 4 mg sodium