Nothing says I love you like making a homemade treat that you know your sweetie adores but also offers ingredients that nourish the heart.
This homemade dark chocolate has been one of my favourite treats for a while now. The sky’s the limit when it comes to the additional ingredients you can add to make each batch a little different. For Valentines Day with a special focus on the heart, I’ve added two heart superfoods; pomegranate and mulberries. I’ve also thrown in some fun healthier candy options. Vegan protein gummies, sprinkles without artificial dyes, and some dark chocolate chips.
This recipe will take you all of five minutes to mix together and the hardest part is waiting in anticipation for it to set in the freezer!
What’s great about the ingredients in these Pom Blossoms?
Cacao Powder: contains one of the highest sources of magnesium. Magnesium is involved in transporting other electrolytes like calcium and potassium into cells, which helps your heart keep it’s healthy strong beat.
Coconut Oil: contains lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid believed to raise good H.D.L. cholesterol
Maple Syrup: contains a variety of minerals including zinc. Zinc may help to protect and prevent various cardiovascular disorders.
Pomegranate: is full of heart-protecting polyphenols, which have been shown to help improve blood flow, lowers blood pressure and prevents plaque buildup.
Mulberries: contains a good source of fibre including soluble fibre which has been shown to help reduce cholesterol levels and protect the heart from disease.
- Vegan Protein Gummies (Hyland)
- Confetti Sprinkelz (Let’s Do Organic)
- Dark Chocolate Chips (Camino)
Pomegranate Mulberry Dark Chocolate Pom Blossoms
- 2/3 cup Organic Traditions organic coconut oil (neutral flavour)
- ½ cup Nature’s Emporium organic cocoa powder
- ½ cup Nature’s Emporium pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Nutiva Pomegranate Powder
- 1/4 cup Organic Traditions mulberries white and black
- 1 pack Herbaland Vegan Protein Gummies, chopped
- 2 tbsp Camino Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Melt coconut oil on low heat
- Pour into a medium bowl and add cocoa powder, maple syrup and pomegranate powder and mulberries. Stir until combined
- Chop Vegan Protein Gummies, mulberries and chocolate chips and add to mixture
- Pour mixture into chocolate moulds, add sprinkles on top and stick in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Remove and enjoy!
- Store chocolate in the freezer
Miranda Malisani, Holistic Nutritionist, Spokesperson and Director of Health & Wellness