All of our locations are closed on Monday, August 3 for the Civic Holiday. We will reopen on Tuesday, August 4 at 8:00 a.m.
The Civic Holiday long weekend is almost here!
How is it August already? We can’t believe how quickly the summer is flying by!
It feels like just yesterday we were bringing you May Long Weekend recipes. Here we are celebrating the Civic Long Weekend! Civic Holiday – which is always on the first Monday of August (with the exceptions being Quebec and Yukon). Depending on which province you’re in, the holiday may have a different name. No matter where you are, there is good food to be eaten!
Since the province is slowly reopening and there is more to do, enjoy this holiday than with picnic-style recipes that you can share with your family or friends! Enjoy them at a park or beach that is now open for us to enjoy!
Don’t forget to pick up your compostable picnic plates and cutlery by Eco Guardian!
- 4 organic zuccini
- A. Vogel Herbamare to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- black pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- 1/4 cup avocado oil to brush
- Preheat the oven 235°F and prepare a baking sheetlined with parchment paper and sparingly spray avocado spray.
- Prepare a separate baking sheet with a paper towel to remove the moisture from zucchini.
- Using a mandolin, slice ⅛ inch thick zucchinislices, so they are consistent in size.
- Place the slices on the paper towel, cover with another layer of paper towels and place another baking sheet on top. Leave for a few minutes to remove excess moisture before baking.
- Lay the slices on the prepared baking sheet and sparingly spray or brush each slice with avocado oil.
- Sprinkle Herbamare, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika or any of your favourite seasonings.
- Bake chips for 1 ½ -2 hours or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Add to a charcuterie board or eat them as-is for a delicious snack!
Creamy Herb Potato Salad
- 2 lbs organic small red potatoes
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water more may be needed
- 1 ½ tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Nuts To You Organic Sesame Tahini
- ¼ tsp A. Vogel Herbamare
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp organic dill finely chopped
- 1 tbsp organic parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp organic chives finely chopped
- Soak cashews overnight, or in boiling hot water for 2 hours.
- Wash potatoes and cut in quarters and add to a saucepan of room temperature water. Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium, so the water is at a low boil and cook for 15 – 20 minutes (or until tender). A fork should slide easily through the potato, if it cracks it's overdone).
- Drain the water and set potatoes aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, add soaked and drained cashews to a high-speed blender with water and blend until creamy, thick and pourable. If you don't get the desired consistency, add more water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Then, add avocado oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, tahini, Herbamare and pepper andblend until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and fold in dill, parsley and chives until fully combined.
- Add potatoes and ensure that they're evenly coated.
- You can serve it slightly warm, at room temperature or refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight) and serve chilled. Enjoy!
Fruit Kebabs With “Cheesecake” Dip
For the fruit kebabs:
- 2 organic bananas sliced
- 5 organic kiwis sliced
- 1 organic melon sliced
- 1 pint organic strawberries sliced
- ½ organic watermelon sliced (see notes for a fun tip!)
- 1 organic pineapple sliced (see notes for a fun tip!)
For the dip:
- ½ cup Daiya Cheeze Style Spread
- ½ cup Riviera Maison Yogurt – Pineapple & Coconut
- ½ cup So Delicious Coconut Whip
- Blend together cream cheese and yogurt.
- Once fully blended, add coconut whip until thoroughlycombined.
- Place in a small bowl a reuseable container and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Slice all fruits into circles and set aside.
- Then skewer fruits in the same pattern using 6 or 8" skewers.
- Place skewers on a serving dish or into reusable containers. You are ready for your picnic, add your dip and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy your Civic Long Weekend! Even if it’s not a long weekend for you, we still encourage you to take a day and set up shop at a park or beach. Enjoy the outdoors and these delicious picnic recipe ideas!
What’s your favourite dish to bring to a picnic? Share your thoughts with @naturescanada. Be safe and have fun!
More from #ThrivingWithNatures