Happy Mother’s Day 2020!
Mother’s Day is just around the corner and we want to celebrate the wonderful mom that you are and inspire you to take some time for yourself, especially after all the extra “mom-ing” that you’ve likely been doing with the kids home from school for the past several weeks. I’m sure you’ve enjoyed all the extra time with your children, but at the same time, mom needs a break and now is the perfect time to ask for that and we have some ideas on how we can help you achieve that!
We mentioned in a previous blog post the importance of self-care during this time, and now is the perfect opportunity to get some in with it being your special day. You don’t need to spare a ton of time away from your family, but taking 15 minutes to a half-hour to give back to yourself will be the perfect pick me up that you deserve!
Start by creating a self-care space, a quiet area in your house (or even outside in your backyard now that the weather is getting nicer), away from everyone and any other distractions, aka your phone that’s probably attached to you 24/7. Now, time for the real magic – if you have a diffuser, put it on with your favourite essential oil scent or blend – if you don’t have one, now is the perfect opportunity to ask for one on Mother’s Day. The scent is one of your five senses, which are all-powerful in their own way. Your olfactory system (your ability to perceive and detect smells) is found in the same part of your brain that processes emotions and is deeply connected to memories. Do you ever notice why a certain smell or scent you come across evokes a particular memory? To this day, when I smell Dolce and Gabbana’s Light Blue perfume, I am immediately reminded of my late Grandmother who wore this exclusively. Or why smelling a particular food that made you ill once makes you feel ill even years later? This is all due to the connection between the brain and scent and why including particular essential oils can have an uplighting effect on your mood and attitude and why we encourage the use of a diffuser in your self-care space to help alter your state of mind.
Visit the Now® brand website for diffuser recipes and get your good mood on and energy flowing.
Another way to help set up your self-care space is to use or purchase a use an Acupressure Mat. Our favourite is the Spoonk Mat and is a perfect Mother’s Day gift if you haven’t any other ideas of what to ask for! The principles of acupressure are rooted in traditional Chinese medicine and have been used for thousands of years. The basis of the theory of acupressure is similar to that of acupuncture and states there are special points in the body that lie along energy meridians or channels within you. Though they cannot be seen, they are believed to connect specific organs and if these channels are blocked in some form or considered out of balance, they can cause disturbances in the body and lead to illness and disease. The Spoonk Mat helps to stimulate these acupressure points along the energy channels and encourage circulation throughout the body, which can help relieve muscle tension, pain and rejuvenate and rebalance the whole body in the process. This is the perfect addition to your self-care space and your body will thank you for the extra care you give it during your Spoonk Mat sessions! We currently have a special for anyone thinking of purchasing one of these mats for your partner – buy the mat and get a bouquet of flowers for free! What a way to spoil the Mom in your life that has the added benefits of improving her health!
Now that you’ve given yourself some time to give back to your mind and body, on to my favourite topic – Food! What Mother’s Day would be complete without a brunch fit for a queen! We have a perfect menu created for you, easy enough for your loved one to cook it for you, or if you do all the cooking, easy enough for you to whip up yourself and still be able to enjoy it! This Mother’s Day, indulge in a Bacon and Spinach Quiche, Chocolate Mousse Parfait and top it all off, with our delicious Liquid Gold “Momosa”, that will fill your belly and heart when enjoyed with your kiddies.
Bacon and Spinach Crustless Quiche
Bacon and Spinach Crustless Quiche
- 1 lb duBreton Bacon cooked and diced
- 1 tbsp Nature’s Emporium Olive Oil
- 2 Mike & Mike’s Organic Shallots
- 4 cups Organic Spinach chopped
- 12 large Nature’s Emporium Eggs
- 1 can Thai’s Kitchen Full Fat Coconut Milk
- ¼ tbsp Simply Organic Black Pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp Nature’s Emporium Olive Oil for greasing the dish
- Preheat oven to 375 and thoroughly grease your baking casserole dish (Le Cruset or any baking dish you have available).
- Line the baking sheet with foil, then a sheet of parchment paper. Place bacon strips on the parchment paper and bake in the oven until crispy.
- Remove bacon from the oven and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a medium pan heat oil and add your shallots. Sweat for 2 minutes then add your spinach until wilted and remove. Set filling aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk and pepper.
- Whisk until completely combined. Add in about ¾ of the cooled and drained filling mixture, reserving the remaining ¼ to “top” the quiche.
- Pour egg mixture into your prepared baking dish and gently place remaining filling by hand on top of quiche.
- Place quiche in oven with the liid on (with an empty baking sheet centered onthe rack below) and bake undisturbed for 60 minutes. Then, remove thelid and let brown for 15 minutes quiche will risequite a bit and may evenfoam over the sides.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
Chocolate Mousse Parfait
Chocolate Mousse Parfait
For the Graham Cracker Crumble:
- 8 Schar Gluten Free Honey Graham Crackers crushed
- 1 tsp Wholesome Sweetener Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread (or coconut oil) melted
- 3 tbsp Nature’s Emporium Almond Flour
- 1 pinch Lumiere de Sel Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
For the Mousse:
- 4 oz Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 1 can Thai Kitchen Full Fat Coconut Milk put in the fridge for at least 24 hours
- ¼ cup Nature’s Emporium Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Camino Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ tbsp Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Lumiere de Sel Himalayan Sea Salt
For the Topping:
- ½ cup So Delicious Coconut Whipping Cream deforst overnight
- ⅓ cup Green & Black’s Chocolate Bar (your favouriteflavour) shaved
- 6 organic raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using a food processor, blend the graham cookies into crumbs.
- Combine crumbs, coconut sugar, almond flour, salt and melted buttery spread.
- Spread out evenly in a baking dish and bake until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely and break into small chunks.
- Over a double broiler, melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Remove the can of coconut milk from the refrigerator, pour out the coconut water and scoop out only the solid white coconut cream. You can reserve the coconut water for a smoothie.
- Add the coconut cream, maple syrup, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and melted chocolate in the food processor. Process the ingredients until smooth. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, place the graham cracker chunks to the bottom of the mason jars (120ml jars), evenly divide the chocolate mousse mixture and add on top of the graham cracker base.
- Top with the coconutwhipped cream, shaved chocolate bars and a raspberry.
Liquid Gold “Momosa”
Liquid Gold “Momosa”
- 1 bottle Tonica Peach Kombucha
- 1 bottle Nature’s Emporium Liquid Gold Cold Pressed Juice
- ½ organic peach peeled and diced intobite sized pieces
- ½ organic pomegranate peeled
- Mix together the kombucha and cold-pressed juice (add the LaCroix water here if you want to add more of an effervescent effect) and stir.
- Peel and dice the peachinto bite size pieces and set aside.
- Peel the pomegranate and add to the peach ad mix together.
- Pour "Momosa" mix into the glasses and top with fruit mixture. Enjoy!
Though you may not be spending time with your Mother because of social distancing, it doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the wonderful Mom in your life from a distance, even a simple phone call and saying I love you, or dropping off a gift or basket of food, will be sure to bring a smile to her day. From our family to yours, we wish all the Mothers in your life a very special Mother’s Day!
Leave a Comment