Bahar Mahmoudi is an International Pharmacy Graduate and Natural Health Practitioner
Most men need to pay more attention to their health. Compared to women, men are more likely to:
- Smoke and drink
- Make unhealthy or risky choices
- Put off regular checkups and medical care
When you get a preventive medical test you’re not just doing it for yourself. You’re doing it for your family and loved ones:
- Men are 28 percent more likely than women to be hospitalized for congestive heart failure.
- Men are 32 percent more likely than women to be hospitalized for long-term complications of diabetes and are more than twice as likely than women to have a leg or foot amputated due to complications related to diabetes.
- Men are 24 percent more likely than women to be hospitalized for pneumonia.
The single most important way you can take care of yourself and those you love is to actively take part in your health care and educate yourself.
Men’s Health Quiz
At what age should you begin having your cholesterol checked regularly?
How often should you have your blood pressure checked?
- Every five years
- Once a month
- Every two years
- Every ten years
At what age should you start being screened for colorectal cancer?
If you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, what other disease should you also be screened for?
The most important things you can do to stay healthy are?
- Exercise, eat a healthy diet, drink alcohol only in moderation, and stay at a healthy weight.
- Avoid tobacco.
- Get recommended screening tests and take preventive supplements if you need them.
Signs of depression include:
- Feeling “down,” sad, or hopeless for 2 weeks
- Having little interest or taking no pleasure in doing things you normally like to do.
- An urge to square dance.
- A and B
Body mass index, which is a measure of body fat based on height and weight, is used to screen for which condition?
- None of the above
If you are a man between the ages of 65 and 75 and have smoked more than 100 cigarettes, which condition should you be screened for?
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Prostate cancer
- All of the above
How many minutes of moderate physical activity—at a minimum—should you aim for most days of the week?
Answer 1, B. ; Answer 2, C. ; Answer 3, A. ; Answer 4, B. ; Answer 5, D ; Answer 6, D. ; Answer 7, B. ; Answer 8, A. ; Answer 9, D.