The Health Benefits of Physical Activity
Physical activity offers a range of benefits for people of all ages and abilities and is part of a healthy lifestyle. Some of the health benefits of physical activity can include improved fitness, strength, plus overall improvement of your well-being and quality of life.
In fact, regular physical activity can help to reduce the risk of premature death and chronic diseases such as coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, colon cancer, breast cancer, type-2 diabetes and osteoporosis.
Additionally, regular physical activity can improve your self esteem, reduce the effects of stress, increase energy and contribute to positive mental health.
In celebration of Get Active Month, a month dedicated to movement, here are five healthy tips to get you moving and physically active again.
Get Active Month: Five Healthy Tips
- A healthy heart is key to staying active! Oats are high in fibre and are known to help remove cholesterol from the digestive system, which significantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Intake of fish rich in omega-3, including salmon, is associated with decreased risk of heart attack, stroke, heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure, and high triglyceride levels.
- Is joint pain and inflammation keeping you from moving? People with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis experience reductions in pain and improvements in mobility when they consume ginger and turmeric. Both contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Don’t let arthritis slow you down! Try increasing your intake of oranges, grapefruit, kiwi, lemons, and limes. They’re rich in vitamin C, which has been shown to reduce the severity of conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Boost your energy levels with beans! In addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates for energy, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, and navy beans can increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores.
- Put down the remote! A sedentary lifestyle is a known risk factor for heart attack and stroke. Incorporating moderate physical activity into your life will significantly decrease the risk of heart attack or stroke by up to 63 percent.
Get Active Today!
Looking for a great way to get moving again? Our walking club is a great place to start and runs all through the month of July until the end of September. Check out our events page for more information.
Have a Healthy Tip of your own? Share it with us!
Use the comment box below to share your healthy tips with us.