Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Celebrate Canada Day with a delicious grilled portobello mushroom burger.Portobello mushrooms are just the right size for burger rolls, they grill up beautifully, and their meaty texture and rich taste will have everyone asking for seconds.
Portobello mushrooms are rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients,they support our immune system, and provide impressive cardiovascular benefits.
Studies show that portobello mushrooms can help protect us from cardiovascular disease by protecting our blood vessels from oxidative damage as well as chronic inflammation.
The cardiovascular benefits of portobello mushrooms also involve their B vitamins. In addition to being an excellent source of vitamins B2, B3 (niacin), and B5 (pantothenic acid). Additionally, portobello mushrooms are a very good source of vitamin B1, and good source of vitamin B6, folate, and choline. These mushrooms sometimes provide a significant amount of vitamin B12 as well. Deficiencies of vitamins B6 and B12 or folate can increase our risk of cardiovascular disease. By providing us with these critical B vitamins, portobello mushrooms provide us with yet another tool for improving our cardiovascular health.
- 4 Portabella mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp chopped, fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped, fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently.
- Top with your favourite summer topping: avocado, tomato, arugula, goat cheese, and more. Assemble in a sprouted grain bun and enjoy!