Explore a series of our favourite ways to help prevent cancer – as recommended by our nutrition team!
It is estimated that 2 out of every 5 Canadians will be diagnosed with some form of Cancer in their lifetime.
While a cure for Cancer has not ben found, there are changes that YOU can make to your lifestlye to lower your risk of developing Cancer.
Your 7 Lifestyle Changes to Help Prevent Cancer are:
- Exercise each day. Take a walk or bounce for a few seconds on a re-bounder. These are both low-impact exercises that provide physical health benefits. Increase frequency as your health permits with physician authorization.
- Watch the Waistline: Excess weight increases the risk of several cancers such as breast, colorectal, prostate and esophageal cancer. Waist measurement should be under 40″ for men and under 35″ for women.
- Sleep: It is important to ensure that you get good and sound rest each night. Retire between 9 – 11pm and awaken 6 – 8 hours later.
- Stress: Find ways to remove destructive emotional stress. Use prayer, meditation, yoga, laughter and kindness to others.
- Add Supplements: the general population has suboptimal intake of vitamins and minerals. Find out which vitamins and supplements you may need by consulting your physician.
- Spend more time outdoors: Get outside for a walk, appreciate everything that nature has to offer such as green grass, flowers, and birds. Sit under a tree and listen to the sounds around you. Plant a garden and get your hands dirty. Reconnect with nature.
- Gratitude: Get in the habit of journaling 5 things you are grateful for each day. This exercise gets you thinking in a different mindset and helps you become aware of all the small gifts in your life.
If you’ve got a great way of reducing your risk of developing cancer, please share it in the comments down below!