Victoria Day is when we unofficially kick-off of the summer! It’s a great time to make the transition from spring foods into summer foods. Best of all, it’s also the kick-off of BBQ season!
We want to help you celebrate this weekend. We’ve got some delicious and unique recipes that are perfect for the occasion:
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Local Grass-Fed Beef Burger with Simple Slaw
- Gimme S’More Fruit Kebab
Happy May Two-Four, everyone!
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- 4 Portabella mushroom caps
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- to taste sea salt
- to taste black pepper
- Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
- Pre-heat the grill on medium-high heat.
- Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently.
- Top with your favourite summer toppings: avocado, tomato, arugula, goat cheese, and more. Assemble in a sprouted grain bun and enjoy!
Local Grass-Fed Beef Burgers with Simple Slaw
- 1 lb ground beef grass-fed
- 1 tsp mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion flakes
- 2 tbsp Lee's Turmeric Infused Ghee
- ½ tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- ¼ cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 4 hamburger buns (or lettuce for wraps)
- ¼ head green cabbage medium
- ¼ head red cabbage medium
- ½ organic celeriac peeled & grated
- ½ bulb fennel
- ⅓ cup avocado mayonnaise`
- 2 tbsp sour cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 pickle medium
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 2 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- to taste black pepper freshly ground
- Mix the ground grass-fed beef with mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and create small, palm-size burgers.
- Preheat a large pan and grease with ghee. Once hot, add the burgers. Turn the heat down to medium and cook each side for 3-4 minutes. Try not to flip the patties too soon, or it will stick to the pan. Use a spatula to lightly press the burgers down while cooking. Alternatively, you could cook this burger in the oven or on the grill—Cook to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- When cooked, set aside. Mix the mayonnaise with the Sriracha sauce. Prepare sprouted grain buns or lettuce wraps.
- Toast buns in a pan (if desired) for 2-3 minutes or until crispy, and then begin assembling burgers.
- Spread a tablespoon of mayo/sriracha mixture on the bottom bun, then top with the meat, followed by the slaw and the top half of the bun.
- Wash, halve, thinly slice the cabbage and fennel, or use a food processor with a grating blade.
- Peel and grate the celeriac and place in a mixing bowl together with the shredded cabbage and fennel.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl. Finely grate the pickled cucumber and horseradish. Place the mayo, sour cream (or coconut milk), sriracha sauce, lemon juice, finely chopped chives and parsley—season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add to the bowl with the shredded cabbage and combine well.
Gimme S’More Fruit Kebabs
- 12 marshmellows
- 2 small bananas fair trade
- 6 medium strawberries
- ½ pear cut into six
- ¼ cup graham cracker ground into crumbs
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips melted
- Skewer a piece of pear, followed by a marshmallow, banana, another marshmallow and strawberry. Repeat for all 6 skewers.
- Spray your grill with avocado oil and grill over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Combine the chocolate sauce ingredients and place them in a small bowl.
- Place ground graham cracker crumbs in another small bowl.
- Spoon chocolate and sprinkle crumbs over skewers and serve. Alternatively, dip the skewers into toppings and enjoy after a summer barbecue meal.
More from #ThrivingWithNatures
April is earth month! We take time to try and…Read More