This weeks featured team pick – Organic Kale – comes courtesy of Newton, Produce Manager at our Burlington location!
“Kale is one of my go to favourites because of the nutrient density is really helpful for your health and also it is the perfect fit for your smoothie. I really love the bitter taste of it. In my kale smoothie I add in granny smith apple (or any other apple), any kind of protein powder that I use, soy milk and of course kale. I usually drink it in the morning, but I will sometimes have it during the day or whatever I can make work that day.”
“I also love kale in my salads with a little bit of shredded carrots, shredded cabbages and some grape tomatoes. My favourite dressing to use would be a balsamic. I would love to try it with apple cider vinegar and olive oil, which I haven’t had the chance to yet! Kale is definitely a product that makes my body feel different when I don’t have it, so I try to use it in my meals about 3-5 times per week.”
– Newton, Produce Manager (Burlington):
Looking for Recipe Inspiration?
Looking for an inspiring way to enjoy Organic Kale? we’ve included one of our favourites below – created by the team here at Nature’s. Give it a try and be sure to let us know what you think!
Featured Recipe: Vegan Kale Frittata (Egg-Free)
- 1 Block “Wildwood” Organic Sprouted Tofu (397g)
- 1 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Cups Unsweetened “Natura” Almond Milk
- 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
- Sea Salt to taste
- 0.25 Cup “Sarafino” Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Kale (Chopped)
- 1 Cup Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
- 1 Cup Onion (Diced)
- 1 tbsp garlic (Minced)
- 2 tbsp “Sarafino” Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Start off by blending your tofu and almond milk in a high speed blender until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining “Egg” ingredients and thoroughly whisk in the tofu mixture.
- Set the bowl aside and prep the veggies.
- In an oven-proof skillet, sauté all the “Veggie” ingredients over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the “Egg” mixture into the pan and combine with the veggies thoroughly.
- Bake at 375F for 40 minutes and allow for 20 minutes rest time before cutting into it.
- Enjoy with a nice side salad or on its own any time of day!
239 calories; 13 g protein; 15 g total fat (0 g trans fat); 14 g total carbohydrates (3 g of sugar); 62 mg sodium (Without added salt)