Featured Recipe: Strawberry & Beet Birthday Cake (Non-GMO, Vegan)
There is no better time for a bit of indulgence than during a birthday celebration! Make the most of a sweet treat like this by making it organic & non-GMO!
Servings: 24 Slices
- 2.25 Cup Organic White Cake Flour
- 1.5 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 0.75 tsp Baking Soda (Aluminum Free)
- 0.75 tsp Sea Salt
- 1.5 Cup Water
- 0.75 Cup "Sarafino" Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp "Simply Organic" Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Strawberry Beet Jam:
- 0.5 Cup Organic Beets (Cooked, Pureed)
- 0.5 Cup Organic Strawberries (Mashed)
- 2 tbsp Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp "Pomona's Universal Pectin" (+ ½ tsp Calcium Water - Follow Package Instructions)
- 1 Cup “Earth Balance” Non-Hydrogenated Shortening
- 1 Cup “Earth Balance” Vegan Butter
- 6 Cups Organic Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 tbsp "Simply Organic" Vanilla Extract
- Combine all of the strawberry beet jam ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the jam thickens.
- Transfer into a jar (or a shallow dish for quicker cooling) and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Pre heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, sift all of your dry cake ingredients and combine with the wet, ensuring to not over mix.
- Pour into two greased, parchment lined, 8 inch cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out batter free and clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before assembly.
- Whisk all of the icing ingredients together and set aside for assembly.
- Spread your first layer of icing on top of one of the cake layers and top with a layer of strawberry beet jam.
- Place the second cake layer on top and repeat the same.
- Cover the rest of the cake with the remaining icing and allow to set for at least 30 minutes before cutting into it.
Each Serving Contains: 427 calories; 1 g protein; 24 g total fat (0 g trans fat); 52 g total carbohydrates (44 g of sugar); 192 mg sodium